This Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip is good for so many different occasions. It is fabulous for tailgating or football parties but works equally well for a potluck or family gathering. Truth be told, my kids would be thrilled if I were to serve it for dinner on a random Wednesday night. It is spicy, cheesy and oh-so-delicious. This one may have you scraping the edges for that last bite.
Everyone is saying it.
But I am going to say it too.
I cannot BE-lieve it is August.
School starts here in just two weeks, and before you know it the weather is going to start cooling off. (Thank goodness!)
I know some of you mourn the end of summer, but this girl loves fall.
For one, I look forward to being able to do simple things like go to the grocery store without feeling like I need a shower five seconds after walking out the door.
Plus, football season will be here before you know it.
And you know what that means. Football food!
Whether you are tailgating at a College game (Go Gators!), or prefer to catch the game a home, chances are that food will play a major role in the festivities.
I typically plan my menus a week or two ahead of time, and this Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip is one that makes a regular appearance.
It is a crowd pleaser and I am a sucker for anything that can be made ahead of time.
Now let’s be clear, healthy is a relative term here. I think I probably should have titled this “Healthier” Buffalo Chicken Dip, because there is just no making a dip like this that rivals a kale smoothie for nutritional value.
But once you get past that, I think you will agree that this recipe delivers on all of the flavor while keeping the calories somewhat in check.
The secret weapons are Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. I have used these in place of cream cheese and sour cream, and I don’t notice a difference in flavor and texture versus the “real thing”.
This is a good thing. Because I am not exactly known for my restraint when it comes to game day snacking.
This is a dish you can enjoy without guilt, especially if you make sure there are plenty of fresh veggies on hand. My favorite things to serve this with are carrot chips and celery, and of course a few tortilla chips. (Because…YOLO, baby!)
Frequently Asked Questions for Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip:
- Can You Make Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip in the Crockpot?
Yes! Simply add the dip to a prepared slow cooker and cook over low for two to three hours.
- How Long Can You Keep Buffalo Chicken Dip in the Fridge?
This dip can be kept in the fridge for up to three days.
Tip for Making Low Calorie Buffalo Chicken Dip
- I like to make this in my stand mixer to ensure that everything is well mixed together and the mixture is creamy. An immersion blender or a hand mixer will also work well. If you don’t have any of those, you can whip it together with a whisk or a spoon. If you do this, make sure that the cream cheese is well softened and be prepared for some vigorous beating!
Tools for Making this Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
This Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dips is perfect for your clean eating diet. With Greek yogurt and cottage cheese, this easy to make recipe can also be made in your crock pot. Dairy Free, Keto, Keto and vegan options.
Cuisine: American, Gluten Free, Healthy
Keyword: healthy buffalo chicken dip
Calories: 140 kcal
- 1/2 cup Neufchâtel Cheese (4 ounces) softened and cut into chunks (Or Kite Hill Cream Cheese)
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese 4 ounces
- 1 cup Greek yogurt 8 ounces – dairy or non-dairy
- 2/3 cup Buffalo hot sauce
- 2 cups shredded chicken from Instant Pot Chicken
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese or dairy free blue cheese
- 4 scallions chopped
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese Or Daiya shreds
- For garnish: Additional chopped scallions
- For Serving: tortilla chips pita chips, carrots, celery
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat together Neufchâtel cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt and hot sauce with an electric mixer until smooth.
Stir in chicken, blue cheese, scallions, onions, garlic, and seasonings.
Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Top with Cheddar Cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Variations for Low Fat Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Make it Vegan: Use 8 ounces of vegan cream cheese in place of the Neufchâtel Cheese and cottage cheese. I am a big fan of Kite Hill, which is a nut-based cheese. They have a Jalapeno flavor which is super-spicy and would be great in this if you like things really hot. Use non-dairy yogurt, and either tempeh or chicken substitute (like Beyond Meat or Gardein) in place of the chicken. Omit the blue cheese and top with Daiya Shreds.
- Make it Dairy Free: Follow the same instructions for making this recipe vegan, but leave the chicken in.
- Make it Keto: Use 8 ounces full-fat cream cheesen place of the Neufchâtel Cheese and cottage cheese, and sour cream in place of the yogurt. Serve with carrots, celery, and cauliflower.
- You can use mozzarella in place of the cheddar if you wish.
Serving Suggestions for this Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- Raw Vegetables – carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, red pepper
- Toasted Baguette
- Tortilla Chips
- Pita Chips
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
Amount Per Serving
Calories 140 Calories from Fat 63
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7g 11%
Saturated Fat 3g 15%
Cholesterol 45mg 15%
Sodium 889mg 37%
Potassium 180mg 5%
Total Carbohydrates 2g 1%
Protein 15g 30%
Vitamin A 4.7%
Vitamin C 2%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.