These classic mashed potatoes are everything you want in that comforting and warm side dish, but lightened up to include chicken broth and olive oil. They’re soft and creamy, paleo, vegan and a cinch to make!
Classic Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes is such classic dish to serve along side hearty meals, like roasted turkey or fried chicken. It traditionally relies on heavy cream or milk, and lots of butter to get it’s creamy flavor. For our lightened-up version we use chicken broth and extra virgin olive oil to make these dairy free, without compromising on the flavor or texture.
What can you use in place of milk in mashed potatoes?
You can replace milk with chicken broth, nut or seed milk, or coconut milk.
This week we’re taking a trip down south and dishing out a new recipe each day to complete the ultimate Southern Fried Chicken Dinner! Each day this week we’ll be sharing a recipe to complete an epic southern dinner!
Stay tuned for the rest of the week for the Ultimate Southern Dinner:
How do you make the perfect mashed potatoes
Classic Mashed Potatoes (Paleo + Vegan)
- Place potatoes in a medium sauce pan and cover with cold water 1″ above. Bring to a boil and then lower to medium-high heat and cook until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in a colander.
- Place chicken broth and olive oil in the same sauce pan and heat until hot. Place the potatoes back in the sauce pan with the heated chicken broth and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Add salt, pepper, onion powder and stir to combine.
- Serve hot with scallion garnish.
- We recommend yukon gold or red bliss potatoes here and like the skin left on for these mashed potatoes, but feel free to peel if you prefer to leave them out. It’s important to keep the dice on the potatoes about the same size so they cook evenly.
Loading nutrition data…