Welcome to another meal planning week! About a month ago, I wrote a 5-part series that was all about my basic approach to meal planning. This was the plan: I started the week with a set amount of groceries and ideas for 5 meals, each meal utilizing the ingredients from the day before. The “plan” was not set in stone, so that my dinners would be somewhat flexible if I got a new idea mid-way through the week. If you missed that series, check out post 1, post 2, post 3, post 4, and post 5 🙂
I got such a wonderful response to that series, so I thought, let’s do it again!
I chose this particular week because it’s summer(!) which means that we’ve been spending more time outside, more evenings strolling our neighborhood, and more time eating out. I love to eat out, but after awhile, I’m ready to start eating in again.
So here’s the first recipe for the week: these super refreshing Mango Black Bean Ginger Rice bowls. These are basically burrito bowls with asian-ish flavors.
If you’re a fan of our cookbook, you’ll recognize the sauce/dressing here – it’s a light tamari-lime vinaigrette, similar to the one that I poured over the Brussels Sprouts with Coconut Rice on page 63. I’m crazy for this dressing because it’s so simple but seriously flavorful. It’s also very flexible because it makes any rice bowl so delicious.
I made these bowls with mango, black beans, shredded cabbage, and a few crunchy veggies – blanched snap peas, sliced cucumbers, and carrots. The interesting pops of flavor come not only from that dressing, but from the pickled ginger, sliced basil, and a combo of toasted peanuts and sesame seeds. (If you’re nut free, skip the peanuts and just go for the sesame seeds).
This bowl is everything I want to eat in the summer, it’s light, crispy, crunchy, and herby with a light sauce and a great pop of sweetness from the mango.
This week, I’m planning 3 recipes based on these ingredients – at the end of the week, I’ll post a recap along with a grocery list. Stay tuned Wednesday for the next recipe!
Meal Plan Day 1: Mango Black Bean Ginger Rice Bowls
- 2 handfuls snap peas, strings removed
- 1 to 2 cups cooked jasmine rice*
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 small carrot, sliced into very thin coins
- ½ english cucumber, thinly sliced into coins
- 1 small ripe ataulfo mango, diced
- ½ cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- ¼ cup toasted peanuts, optional
- Sprinkle of sesame seeds, optional
- ¼ to ½ avocado, optional
- 2 tablespoons tamari, more for serving
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon sriracha, more for serving
- Make the dressing by whisking the tamari, vinegar, lime juice, garlic, cane sugar and sriracha in a small bowl.
- Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil and place a bowl of ice water nearby. Blanch the snap peas by placing them in the boiling water for 1 ½ minutes, then scoop them into the ice water to stop the cooking process. Once cooled, drain, pat dry and chop.
- Assemble the bowls with the rice, shredded cabbage, carrot, cucumber, mango, black beans, pickled ginger, and basil. Top with toasted peanuts and sesame seeds, if using. Drizzle bowls with half the dressing and serve the rest on the side along with tamari and sriracha, if desired.
*depending on how much rice you like in your bowls – I like ½ cup in mine, my husband Jack prefers 1 cup in his.