Cauliflower and Zucchini Bake
1 large cauliflower, broken into evenly-sized florets
1 tbsp butter, softened
1 large zucchini, cut into 0.5 cm | 0.25″ thick slices
1 large summer squash, cut into 0.5 cm | 0.25″ thick slices
2/3 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup creme fraiche
1 large egg yolk
3/4 cup Cheddar, grated
1 cup Parmesan, shredded
rosemary sprigs, to garnish
freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (170° fan) | 375°F | gas 5. Grease an oval baking dish with the softened butter.
- Blanch the cauliflower in a large saucepan of salted, boiling water for 4-5 minutes until tender to the point of a knife. Drain and refresh in iced water.
- Drain again and arrange in the baking dish with the sliced zucchini. Whisk together the cream, creme fraiche, egg yolk, Cheddar, and seasoning.
- Pour over the vegetables in the baking dish and scatter over the shredded Parmesan. Season with more salt and pepper.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden-brown and bubbling at the edges. Remove from the oven and leave to cool briefly before garnishing with rosemary.