This healthy rice pudding recipe is the perfect, lightened up version of the creamy rice pudding recipe you grew up loving. It’s vegan, gluten-free, and refined sugar free and is hands down the perfect hearty dessert!
Healthy Rice Pudding
So many of you have requested a lightened up rice pudding recipe, and we worked hard to make it just perfect for you! I didn’t grow up eating rice pudding but while we were testing this recipe, I quickly fell in love with the hearty yet delicate, sweetened-just-right dessert.
This rice pudding recipe is:
- Indulgent yet lightened up
- Packed with cinnamon and raisins
- Perfectly sweetened
Can you make rice pudding with cooked rice?
You can, but we prefer not to cook it the way! You may need less liquid if doing so.
What rice should you use?
Can you use long grain rice for a rice pudding? You should use white rice. You can use long-grain aromatic rice (like basmati or jasmine) which will give the unique flavor and perfect texture that we love. If you use short or medium-grain white rice (like Arborio) your rice pudding will be more thick and chewy.
If you like this gluten-free dessert recipe, try some more of our favorites:
How do you make healthy rice pudding
- In a medium sauce pan, add rinsed and drained rice and add water just enough to cover the rice. Heat pan on medium. Once rice has reached a boil, turn heat to medium low and let water reduce for 10 minutes. Take care not to let water evaporate out completely.
- Drain any water that remains after the 10 minutes and return rice to sauce pan.
- Add coconut milk and salt and cook on medium-low heat. Cook for 25 minutes and stir the pan every few minutes to make sure the rice does not stick.
- Add raisins and sugar, and turn the heat to low. Cook for an additional 15 minutes, stirring frequently until creamy.
- Serve warm or cold, with ground cinnamon sprinkled on top.
- Can sub maple sugar for coconut sugar but will change color slightly
Loading nutrition data…