Ever wonder how to make homemade pop tarts? I’ve been dreaming of making a paleo healthy pop tarts recipe for some time now, and we’ve finally got the homemade pop tart recipe just right for you! This homemade pop tart recipe is gluten-free and grain-free, and pairs wonderfully with my homemade chia seed jam. Frost and enjoy!
How to make homemade pop tarts
Growing up, I absolutely loved pop tarts. S’mores, Strawberry Frosted, and Cherry Frosted were my favorites. I’ve been wanting to make my own paleo version to enjoy, and with much anticipation, they are finally here!
Homemade Pop Tart Recipe
This homemade pop tart crust is based off of my pie crust recipe. For all the versions we tested, this is my absolute favorite! It takes a little prep work, but then you’ll have pop tarts and you’ll be winning at your weekend brunch or mid-day snack break!
You will LOVE these Healthy Homemade Pop Tarts! You can make the jam filling into any flavor you’d like: strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, etc. They would even be great with my homemade nutella!
Want other breakfast treat recipes? Try these:
Homemade Pop Tarts With Pie Crust
Watch the video:
1 Batch Lexi’s dough
1 Batch Homemade Jam
- 2 cups fresh organic blueberries, strawberries, or fruit of joice
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Make dough, chill overnight:
- In a food processor combinealmond flour, tapioca flour, cold butter, and sea salt.
- Add in sugar andegg and process until dough combines.
- Transfer dough to refrigerator overnight.
- Make jam, chill:
- Coat blueberries with raw honey.
- Transfer coated blueberries to a pot and add lemon juice.
- Heat over medium/low heat until blueberries are soft and bubbling (5 minutes).
- Lightly smash blueberries and reduce heat slightly.
- Add in chia seeds and mix to combine. If you’re using raspberries, or a berry with lots of seeds, reduce chia seeds to 1 tablespoon.
- Bring heat back to medium/low and let bubble (but not burn) until jam thickens (another 5 or so minutes).
- Turn heat off and let cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to jars.
- Between two sheets of parchment, GENTLY roll out dough evenly to 1/8th- ¼th inch thickness. Use knife or pizza cutter to cut rectangles 4” by 2.5”. The dough should yield 12 squares. You may have to reroll scraps to get this many 2 or 3 times.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Gently place 6 pieces of dough on parchment on sheet pan. Place the remaining 6 on a separate sheet of parchment and stack on top. Place dough in the refrigerator on pan to chill for 30 minutes.
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon of jam in the center of the dough, repeat for 6 total.
- Use a pastry brush to brush water along the edges of the dough. Top each poptart with the remaining dough rectangles. Press your fingers along the edge to seal.
- Use a fork to crimp the edges.
- Bake at 350ºF for 12-15 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Let cool.
- In a bowl whisk together the glaze. Dip or drizzle glaze onto the pop tarts.
- Store in the refrigerator for 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Loading nutrition data…