Have insomnia? Learn how to use essential oils for sleep! Aromatherapy can help take the stress out of your bedtime. Get the best recipes, diffuser blends, rollerball remedies, and sprays to help you sleep well.
I have struggled with sleep for as long as I can remember. If I am honest with myself, one of the key measures of “good times” and “bad times” in my life is how well I am sleeping.
I am not alone.
It is estimated that 60 million Americans suffer from insomnia. It can be easy to brush lousy sleep off as being normal, but the truth is that inadequate sleep can lead to other problems in our lives. In addition to reduced concentration, agitation, and headaches, poor sleep can also play a role in chronic disease, immune health and depression.
While there are certainly times when medical intervention is called for, one of the best natural ways to deal with occasional sleeplessness is essential oils, so today I thought we would talk about essential oils for sleep!
There are a lot of different essential oils for sleep, but to learn the best essential oils for sleep you need to remember that everyone reacts to essential oils a little differently. So play around with it and learn what is best for you!
How Do Essential Oils Help You Sleep?
Aromatherapy helps to reach the parts of the brain that influence our moods and energy. This can help to relax the mind as well as the body.
Even science is starting to recognize the positive impact that essential oils can have on our health.
According to Brent A. Bauer, MD, the research director of the Mayo Clinic Integrative Medicine Program:
“There is a growing body of good research that shows aromatherapy can be used as part of an overall wellness approach to enhance sleep, improve cognition, reduce anxiety, pained nausea.”
How Do You Use Essential Oils for Sleep?
Essential oils can help you sleep in a variety of ways. Here are the best ways to use essential oils for sleep.
- Diffuse essential oils in the air
- Add essential oils to the bath
- Make a linen spray and spray them on sheets and pillows
- Apply essential oils topically on the feet, neck, wrists and/or stomach
The Quality of The Essential Oils You Use Matters!
I’ve tried most every essential oil company out there, and I am thrilled to recommend Plant Therapy as my preferred company!
After looking closely at the quality, purity, and ethics of so many companies, I’ve fallen in love with both the company and their oils. They are serious about safety and go to great lengths to test every single batch to ensure purity!
Read my full Plant Therapy Review for why they are my go-to company.
Shop Essential Oil Gift Sets for the Whole Family at Plant Therapy! Shop Now!
What are the Best Essential Oils for Sleep?
Can’t #Sleep? Check out the best essential oils for sleep! Click To Tweet
How to Use Lavender Essential Oil for Sleep
If I had to pick among best essential oils for sleep, it would be lavender.
According to Alan Hirsch, MD, neurological director of the Smell and Taste Treatment and Research Foundation in Chicago,
“Lavender increases alpha brain waves in the back of the head, which is associated with a more relaxed state.”
Lavender also happens to be safe for children, and one of the few oils that you can apply “neat,” or undiluted. (Though unless it is a burn, I always dilute lavender when using on children.)
To use lavender essential oil for sleep, you can place a few drops of on feet, neck, and wrists. I like to place 3 to 6 drops in my essential oil diffuser as well.
Another great way to use lavender essential oils for sleep is a linen spray.
Lavender Linen Spray for Sleep
- Place lavender essential oil, distilled water, and witch hazel in the bottle. Shake well to combine.
- Spritz on sheets and pillow just before turning in.
Essential Oils for Sleep – Try These Essential Oil Recipes for Sleep!
Essential Oils for Sleep Recipe #1
- Dilute the essential oils in a carrier oil.
- Apply to the bottoms of the feet at bedtime.
Essential Oils for Sleep Recipe #2
- Dilute the essential oils in your carrier oil of choice.
- Apply to the bottoms of the feet at bedtime.
Essential Oils for When You Have Trouble Staying Asleep
- Dilute orange oil with the carrier oil.
- Massage around the belly button.
Essential Oil Bath Blend for Sleep
- Combine essential oils and carrier oil in a glass bottle. Add one tablespoon to the bath.
Essential Oils for Sleep – The Best Roller Bottle Recipes
Essential Oil Children’s Sleep Blend
- Put essential oils in a 10ml roller bottle and top off with a carrier oil. Apply to the bottom of the feet.
- You may also diffuse this blend.
Essential Oils Sleep Blend – Adult’s Blend
- Place oils in a 10 ml bottle.
- Top with a carrier oil.
- Apply to the bottom of the feet.
- You also may diffuse.
Other Natural Sleep Remedies
- Tart Cherry Juice can be very effective and increase the amount of time you sleep. According to a study at Louisiana State University, people with insomnia who drank eight ounces of tart cherry juice in the morning and at night slept an average of 84 minutes longer than those who received a placebo.
- Try supplementing with Magnesium. It is estimated that between 70% and 80% of American’s aren’t getting enough. Magnesium is one of nature’s best relaxation secrets. When you are stressed, calcium can get into your cells and cause tension. Magnesium helps balance this and can help to fight stress and improve sleep.
Other Considerations for Sleep
- As a busy Mom, I know how tempting it is to work or watch TV right up until bed time. If you have trouble falling asleep, you want to turn the TV off at least 30 minutes before bedtime. (The same goes for all digital devices.) The light tells your brain to stay awake. Do something quiet and relaxing like reading a book.
- Try lowering the temperature in your house by 3 to 5 degrees. Studies show that most people rest better at cooler temperatures.
- Don’t underestimate the impact that the quality of mattress, sheets and pillows you are using have on your quality of sleep. I rotate between two pillows that I love this Eden Pillow from Coop Home Goods and this Down Pillow from Pacific Coast Feather Company.
Have you tried essential oils for sleep? What do you think are the best essential oils for sleep?