Soft and chewy grain-free sugar cookies made with almond flour and less sugar that taste just as great as the cookies you grew up eating! Cut these into different shapes and have fun decorating this holiday season!
It’s officially December which means it’s my FAVORITE time of the year! In our house, this also means all things COOKIES. It’s such a tradition in our family to bake cookies together during the holidays, and while we make everything from chocolate chip cookies to my Grandma’s beloved spritz cookies, nothing beats a delicious sugar cookie! Not only are sugar cookies simple to make, but they can be cut, shaped and molded into any type of cookie you’d like; all you need is a basic recipe.
Since many people in my family are gluten-intolerant, I love making these grain-free sugar cookies every year which are always such a hit! Super soft, delectably chewy, and I must say, they taste even better when dipped in chocolate 😉 You’d honestly never know these were gluten-free!
I don’t know about you, but baking cookies this time of year just goes hand in hand with watching Christmas movies, drinking egg nog and wrapping presents – they are the ultimate Christmas tradition! Another tradition that I LOVE is our annual Holiday Cookie Swap, and these cookies make the perfect sweet treat to share with friends. Not only can they be made into any shape you’d like, but decorating them is the best part! Our theme this year was “silver and gold” so I went for sparkly stars dipped in white chocolate and topped with gold sprinkles. I mean chocolate always makes everything better, right??
The fun part is you can decorate these any way you’d like – spread some frosting on top, drizzle them with your favorite type of chocolate, use an assortment of different colored sprinkles. The possibilities are endless, and I know your kids will have fun decorating these too!
Not only were these cookies perfect for our Holiday Cookie Swap, but I was able to cut some calories by swapping out half the sugar for Stevia In The Raw®! Stevia In The Raw® Bakers Bag is a zero-calorie sweetener that measures cup for cup with sugar giving you the same amount of sweetness without all those extra calories. No confusing conversions necessary, and up to 700 calories can be saved for every cup of sugar that is swapped out for Stevia In The Raw®! The sweetness comes straight from the leaves of the stevia plant and also comes in these conveniently packaged Bakers Bags, which are my favorite because they are easily resealable for multiple uses and are great for storing in your pantry!
So why did I only swap half the sugar? Well you definitely want to keep some sugar in these cookies in order to achieve the proper browning, rising and caramelization that only sugar can provide in baked goods, but it sure is nice to lighten them up while still having the same great taste!
One thing I do want to note is that when making these cookies, it’s super important that you allow the dough to chill for at least one hour before rolling out and cutting into shapes. I find that chilling overnight works best, but either way will still give you a delicious cookie! I just find that chilling overnight allows the cookies to hold their shape a bit better when baking and are also easier to cut out in general.
So whether you’re going to a traditional cookie exchange or simply baking for the holidays, share these super soft grain-free and reduced calorie sugar cookies with your friends and family and surprise them on how delicious they taste! Everyone should have a go-to sugar cookie recipe so make this one yours this season!
For updates, yummy recipes and MORE, make sure to follow Stevia In The Raw® on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!
And for more sweet treat inspiration that allows you to “Half Your Cake and Eat It Too,” check out this FREE PRINTABLE eCookbook from Stevia In The Raw®!
Holiday Grain-Free Sugar Cookies
- ½ cup grass fed butter, softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup Stevia In The Raw® Bakers Bag
- 1 egg
- 1½ tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- For Decorating (optional): white chocolate and sprinkles
- Cream together butter, coconut oil, sugar and Stevia In The Raw® in the bowl of your stand mixer (or you could use a hand mixer) then add the egg and vanilla, mixing until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt then slowly add the flour mixture to the creamed ingredients as the mixer is running cupfuls at a time.
- Form the dough into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge for at least one hour, but best overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment paper to about ¼” thickness and cut into shapes. You will need to continually roll out the dough so if it gets too sticky you can place the dough back in the fridge (or freezer) to chill again so it’s easier to roll out.
- Transfer cookies to baking sheets and bake in the oven for 10 to 13 minutes, until slightly golden. Allow cookies to cool completely on a wire rack before decorating.
Serving Size: 1 cookie • Calories: 128 • Fat: 10.3 g • Saturated Fat: 4.1 g • Carbs: 5.5 g • Fiber: 1.8 g • Protein: 2.6 g • Sugar: 2.6 g • WW Points+: 3 • Smart Points: 5
This post is sponsored by Stevia In The Raw®. As always all opinions are 100% my own.