This Roasted Poblano & Chicken Soup is the perfect one-pot soup for any day of the week! Flavorful, light & hearty, and packed with good-for-you ingredients. The perfect soup for when you are craving a hearty soup with just the right amount of spice!
Easy Roasted Poblano & Chicken Soup
If you haven’t tried fire roasted poblano peppers, I highly recommend it! They add such a great smokey flavor to any dish and are super easy to make!
The combination of smoky poblano peppers, creamy broth, salty tortillas and perfectly cooked shredded chicken in this dish is absolutely amazing. One of my favorite soups right now and great for game day, too!
Nut-free, grain-free, dairy-free, egg-free, whole30 option, and paleo-friendly… count us IN! Such a great soup for when you are serving a crowd and looking for an allergen friendly option!
How do you cook poblano peppers?
- How to roast poblano peppers on the stove: Place your chile on the stove burners over a medium flame. Turn with tongs as each side blisters, until the skin is toasted and charred!
- How to roast poblano peppers in the oven: Place the poblano peppers on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Broil on high for 3-5 minutes, turning halfway, or until the skin is browned and blistered.
What can I use in place of poblano peppers?
- Bell pepper (milder)
- Canned chile peppers
- Serrano pepper (hotter)
If you like this recipe, you’ll love these soup recipes:
Roasted Poblano & Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or oil of choice
- 4 medium fresh poblano chile peppers, roasted directly over an open flame or broiled for 5 minutes until blackened and blistered
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 6-ounce can green chilies
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Tortilla chips, crumbled
- Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado, diced
- Fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges
- Roast Poblanos: Turn on the flame on your gas stove and place poblano peppers on the flame. Turn often until charred. OR in the oven: Place the poblano peppers on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Broil on high for 3-5 minutes, turning halfway, or until the skin is browned and blistered.
- In a large dutch oven, heat oil on medium-high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, and carrots. Sauté for 3-5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Chop the poblanos into small pieces then add the poblano peppers and the spices and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, green chilies. Stir until well combined. Cover and bring soup to a boil.
- Once at a boil, turn down heat and add in chicken. Let simmer covered for 20-25 minutes until chicken is fully cooked through and no pink remains. Take soup off the heat.
- Gently take the chicken out of the soup. Let cool, shred and set aside.
- Using a liquid measuring cup, scoop 4 cups of soup into a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add pureed soup and shredded chicken back into the soup and stir well.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve warm with desired toppings!
*Instead of transferring 4 cups of soup to a blender, feel free to use an immersion blender in this step if desired! If using an immersion blender, make sure to leave some of the veggies whole, and avoid over-blending. The soup shouldn’t be a pureed soup!