This Creamed Spinach is a lightened up version of your favorite holiday classic and is made without cream for the perfect healthy and veggie-packed side for Thanksgiving! Creamy, flavorful and so simple to make! It’s keto friendly and low carb, too! Made in partnership with Pacific Foods.
Healthy Creamed Spinach (Without Cream)
I used to love traditional creamed spinach from this local chicken shop in New York that I grew up with. It was a holiday staple for us, but I knew it was loaded with junk! I am so excited to have made this healthier version!
The star of the show is my new favorite dairy-free milk from Pacific Foods! Their cashew milk is perfectly creamy and so delicious. It’s versatile, plant-based, and made with organic and Fair Trade Certified™ cashews!
The cashew milk makes for such a hearty and creamy sauce without any of the dairy… such a win! We used butter in this, but if you want a dairy-free option, feel free to substitute the butter for extra-virgin olive oil and ditch the cheese!
Watch the video here:
If you like this recipe, try these other Holiday Side Dish Recipes:
Creamed Spinach Gratin with Cashew Milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Grease a 9×9 baking dish with butter or oil of choice and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent about 5 minutes.
- Add spices and cook for one minute until fragrant.
- Add arrowroot flour and stir for one minute until well combined.
- Pour in cashew milk. Mix well. Bring sauce to a boil. Once at a boil, lower heat and let simmer until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add in 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese (if using) and whisk until cheese has melted, about 30 seconds.
- In batches, add spinach (and kale if using) to the sauce until the greens start to wilt. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Take off heat.
- Pour spinach/kale mixture into a greased 9×9 casserole dish and top with remaining parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and the cheese on the top is a golden brown.
- Serve warm!
- Can use dairy-free milk of choice!
- Can omit kale and use all spinach!
- Make this whole30 compliant: Use ghee or extra-virgin olive oil instead of the butter and omit the cheese.
This post is sponsored by Pacific Foods. All thoughts and opinions are always 100% my own! I love the integrity of their products and think you’ll love them too. Thank you for continuing to support LCK and the brands I work with!