We absolutely love these Freezer-Friendly Waffle Bites with Caramelized Apples! They are such a simple, fun, and delicious kid-friendly (adults, too) treat! Make a big batch over the weekend and enjoy them all week long in packable lunches, as an on-the-go breakfast or as a mid-day treat! Paleo-friendly, gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free!
Perfect bite-size waffles! Churro-style, or original!
Apples, pears, peaches- you can use different fruits for this delicious topping!
Drizzle, drizzle and eat it now, or pack it for a lunch!
Freezer-Friendly Churro Waffle Bites
Best Ever Fluffy Waffles from page 35 of the Lexi’s Clean Kitchen Cookbook
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted for greasing the waffle maker
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 apples, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, more to taste
- pinch of sea salt
Cinnamon-Sugar Churro Coating
- Pre-heat waffle maker set to low heat and brush liberally with melted butter.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, and sea salt. Add in eggs, applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Whisk until fully combined and no lumps remain.
- Following the directions for your waffle maker, cook four waffles at a time by adding 1 tablespoon of waffle mix to each quadrant. Cook until waffles are light brown and set aside until all of the waffle batter is used. *You can place the finished waffles in an oven set to 200 °F to keep warm while you cook the rest of the waffles and prepare the caramelized apples, but this is not necessary!
- Once the waffles are done, make the caramelized apples.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of butter. Add diced apples, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Mix well. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until apples are soft and a light brown color. Taste and adjust cinnamon as needed. Take off heat and set aside.
- If making these into churro bites: add cinnamon and coconut sugar to a small mixing bowl. In a separate mixing bowl, melt the butter. Brush waffles with melted butter and working in batches, carefully dip the waffles into the cinnamon sugar mixture until the waffles are well coated.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of maple syrup!
*Waffles last for 3 months in the freezer or four days in the refrigerator!