These Meal Prep Freezer Burritos are one of my go-to make ahead meals for when I am meal prepping for myself or cooking for others and delivering meals! They are filling, loaded with protein, delicious veggies, and so customizable. Plus they are super easy to make!
These are also very freezer-friendly, which is a huge WIN! Make a batch, assemble, wrap them up, and toss them in a freezer for 2-3 months!
Salsa verde chicken & taco meat as the protein in these, and then all your favorite customizable fillings!
I always make these when I am cooking for a family (post-baby or when someone is sick). They are my go-to because it all comes together so easily, and they are DELICIOUS. Plus, there is not much better than opening your freezer and realizing you have burritos waiting for you!
Don’t want them burrito style? Make them into meal prep bowls!
Meal Prep Freezer Burritos
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 8 ounce jar salsa verde
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, more to taste
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 1 tablespoon oil of choice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons salsa, you can use salsa verde as well
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
Sautéd Peppers and Onions
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil, more if needed
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8-10 homemade tortillas, corn tortillas, flour tortillas (if making for non-gluten-free friends), or my favorite Siete tortillas (Siete tortillas are gluten-free and paleo-friendly!)
- 1-2 cups romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, or cheese of choice
- 1/3 cup jalapenos
- 1 avocado, diced
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 14.5 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Make the slow cooker salsa chicken: Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. Place in a slow cooker and add 2 cups of salsa verde, or just enough to coat the chicken. Set slow cooker to 4 hours on high. Check halfway through. Depending on how thick your chicken is, it might cook in less time.
- Make the rice: Place all ingredients in an instant pot. Secure the lid and using the “MANUAL” setting, set the Instant Pot to 5 minutes on high pressure. Once five minutes is complete, let the Instant Pot slowly release pressure for at least 10 minutes. Turn the valve to release the remaining pressure after 10 minutes. Slowly take off the lid and fluff with a fork. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. *If you do not have an Instant Pot, check below for stove-top directions!
- While rice cooks, make the taco meat: Place all ingredients into a medium skillet over medium heat. Sauté until all of the meat is cooked and no pink remains. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Make the sautéed peppers and onions: add oil to a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot add in peppers, onions, salt and pepper. Let cook until peppers are soft and onions are translucent. Set aside in a bowl until ready to assemble.
- Rinse and drain the beans. Place in a bowl until ready to assemble.
- Assemble: Place rice on the desired tortilla. Add either chicken or taco meat and any other add-ins you want! Fold in the sides, and then roll. Wrap in plastic wrap before freezing or eat right away. Wrapping with the gluten-free tortillas can be difficult. I recommend using less filling or making a taco bowl with the tortilla on the side. These will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months!
- Mexican Rice on the stovetop: Place 2 cups of rice, 2 cups of water and sea salt in a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn down heat and simmer on low until all of the water has dissolved. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Taste before setting aside until ready to assemble! Store the rest of the rice in a airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-6 days. Rice should be discarded if left at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Make the homemade tortillas!