We are obsessed with this Loaded Grilled Eggplant with Creamy Herb Sauce! The perfect vegetarian dish to serve at any BBQ all Summer long!
If you are looking for a hearty vegetarian Summer dish perfect for Summer BBQing, this is IT!
Think umami flavored hearty ground nuts topped with creamy dreamy herb dressing using a blend of Summer herbs all served over perfectly grilled eggplant = BBQ heaven.
The inspiration for this recipe came from Yotom Ottolenghi’s cookbook, “Jerusalem”. He has an eggplant dish where he covers the eggplant in za’tar, baked it and then tops it with a buttermilk sauce! Ever since seeing it, I had to try to make my own dairy-free version!
If you have ever cooked with baby eggplant before you know that they are not just adorable, but also have a slightly sweet flavor. The combination of the grilled baby eggplant with the savory creamy sauce is perfection.
We now want to use this sauce on everything!
The nut crumble won’t make you miss meat at all in this dish. Such a perfect hearty vegetarian side for any Summer BBQ!
Loaded Grilled Eggplant with Creamy Herb Sauce
- 4 Italian eggplants, sliced in half. Stems kept.
- Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, roughly chopped
- Place all dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Place dressing in the fridge until ready to serve.
- In a small saucepan, add the ingredients for the nut crumble over low heat. Mix until well combined and toast the nuts until fragrant. About 5-10 minutes. Set mixture aside until ready to serve.
- Slice eggplant in half and score the flesh. Brush with olive oil and spices. Be generous with the olive oil and spices in this step. Heat and grease grill or grill-pan. Once hot, place eggplant on the grill, flesh side down. Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown and soft to touch.
- Place Grilled eggplant on desired serving dish. Smear a generous amount of dressing onto each eggplant. Top with nut crumble and herbs. Serve warm!
*You can use regular eggplants here, but we find that this tastes best when you use Italian or baby eggplant!