Savory Chorizo Breakfast Bowls
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil, divided
- 4 raw spicy chicken sausage links, casing removed
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 1 teaspoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed, set aside more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 1 red onion, diced
- 8 vine tomatoes
- 4 soft boiled eggs
- 1 avocado, halved
- Coarse sea salt, for garnish
- With your hands, tear the stems off the kale and either chop or tear the kale into bite-sized pieces.
- Place the kale into a bowl with a teaspoon of lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Sauté kale until wilted and set aside.
- Remove the casing for the raw chicken sausage. Heat a medium skillet with just enough avocado oil to cover the pan. Add the sausage to the pan and toss with a spatula. Cook until fully cooked through and browned.
- Optional: Add cooked sausage to a food processor and process until ground.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Medium dice the sweet potato. In a large bowl toss the diced sweet potato with 1 tablespoon avocado oil, and a pinch of sea salt. Spread the sweet potato in a single layer on one side of the baking sheet.
- Dice the red onion into a small dice. Add the diced onion into the same large bowl and toss with one teaspoon of avocado oil and a pinch of salt.
- Spread the onion on the other side of the parchment lined sheet tray.
- Place the tomato (stems attached) on the same sheet tray if there is room. If not, line another sheet tray with parchment paper and bake the tomato separately.
- Place one or both sheet trays in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until sweet potato is tender, the tomato has started to blister, and the red onion has started to caramelize.
- Toss the red onion and sweet potato every 10 minutes for even cooking.
- Fill up a pot with a small amount of water. Insert a steamer basket and bring the water to a boil. Steam the eggs for 5 minutes. Take off heat and run under water or place in a ice bath until cooled off. Store in the fridge unpeeled for up to two days, until ready to eat.
- Place all ingredients into your bowl, top with avocado and egg, and serve! Garnish with a squeeze of lemon juice, and a pinch of coarse salt.
By Lexi’s Clean Kitchen
Lexi’s Clean Kitchen http://lexiscleankitchen.com/