This is a sponsored post, brought to you by Taste of Home. All opinions are my own.
This Sweet Potato Chickpea Salad makes a delicious healthy side dis or fabulous vegetarian main course salad.
When things get crazy around our house, it can be easy to let sitting down for dinner together as a family slide. With kids activities and work obligations, I have been guilty of this myself.
One of my goals for the New Year is to make sure that we sit down together as a family for dinner every night. I love the time to connect with the kids device-free. In my opinion, it is one of the best ways to stay in touch with what is going on with them.
As it turns out, my desire for family meal time is supported by research.
Studies indicate that children who have regular family meals not only have healthier diets but they also do better in school.
It is good for the grown ups too! Adults with demanding jobs feel less stress when they eat with their families. (And I don’t know about you, but I need all of the help managing stress that I can get.)
If you are looking for a cookbook to help you create easy family meals, consider the Taste of Home 100 Family Meals Cookbook. It was designed to inspire home cooks to make family meal time into their routines. They have made it easy to do that twice a week for an entire year.
We all know that when you have the right resources, whipping up a delicious meal is easy. The Taste of Home 100 Family Meals Cookbooks has 100 approachable recipes that the whole family will love! The photography is amazing, and all of the recipes have easy to find ingredients.
Although the cookbook doesn’t cater to dietary restrictions, I didn’t feel like there was anything there that couldn’t be easily adjusted. It is always easy to sub-in gluten free pasta or breadcrumbs. It is also easy to choose organics if you choose. (That is the best thing about cooking at home!)
It was hard to decide which recipe to try, but I settled on this Sweet Potato Chickpea Salad. It was so easy to make, but the flavors were spot-on. I used it as a side dish, but I would be happy to have it for lunch or dinner by itself too!
You can learn more about the Taste of Home 100 Family Meals Cookbook here or you can order your copy here.
Recipe reprinted from Taste of Home with permission. You can see the original recipe here.
Sweet Potato & Chickpea Salad
Serves 8 as a side dish.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 lb.), peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ cups cooked garbanzo beans or chickpeas (1 can)
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups spring mix salad greens
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, oil, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Transfer to a 15x10x1-in baking pan coated with cooking spray. Roast at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
- In a large bowl, combine the garbanzo beans and sweet potatoes. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Add to the sweet potato mixture, toss to coat. Serve over salad greens, top with cheese.