Apple Sage Breakfast Sausage
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 medium apple, shredded, with the juice squeezed out (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup minced onions
- 2 tablespoons Breakfast Sausage Blend (page 257)
- 1 to 2 fresh sage leaves, minced, plus additional whole leaves for garnish (optional)
- 2 teaspoons ghee or butter, for the pan
- In a mixing bowl, combine the pork, apple, onions, spice blend, and chopped sage and mix with your hands until everything is evenly incorporated. Form the mixture into 8 evenly sized patties.
- Heat the ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, place the patties in the pan and cook for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until cooked through and browned.
- If desired, fry some sage leaves (about 1 per patty) in the pork fat left in the pan until crispy to garnish the sausage patties.
- MAKE IT 21DSD: Use a green apple (Granny Smith) in this recipe.
By Diane Sanfillippo
Lexi’s Clean Kitchen http://lexiscleankitchen.com/