Enjoy the flavours of basil pesto in this low carb and Skinny Pesto Chicken and Spaghetti Squash Bake!
I absolutely love making casseroles in the cooler months. There’s something about casseroles that says “comfort food” to me! Plus I love when I can get all my veggies and protein in one dish.
Typically, this dish would be made with pasta, which is totally fine. But I’m not a huge fan of pasta because 1) it is very heavy and filling, and 2) it’s very calorie dense.
I like to substitute spaghetti squash for pasta!!
Spaghetti squash is so versatile. You can sub it for anything starchy – like potatoes in my Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin or in this casserole! And, it’s low calorie and low carb compared to regular pasta!
This dish is delicious! Plus it’s loaded with veggies – spaghetti squash, red pepper, and spinach. Even my kids and hubby love it, there are no complaints at the dinner table when I serve this dish.
I hope you get a chance to try this Skinny Pesto Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole! It makes great leftovers and even freezes well.
Skinny Pesto Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Slice spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds. (If you find the squash too hard to cut, put it in the microwave for 5 minutes first to soften it up a bit.)
- Spray the cut side of the squash with some coconut or olive oil and place face down on a baking sheet. Roast squash for 40 – 45 minutes, or until tender.
- While the squash is roasting, spray a skillet with coconut or olive oil and add chicken. Cook until no longer pink. Add bell pepper and pesto and stir together. Add spinach and cook until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spray an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with coconut or olive oil and set aside.
- Once spaghetti squash is done, scrape out the flesh with a fork. Add “spaghetti” strands to the prepared baking dish. Top with chicken-pesto mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover the dish in foil, leaving a little “tent” at the top so the cheese doesn’t stick to the foil! Bake at 350F for 20 – 30 minutes, until casserole is hot and bubbly.
Cal: 232 Fat: 11g Protein: 19g Carbs: 14.7g Fiber: 3.5g Sodium: 383mg
21 Day Fix (use a green container to measure 1 serving): 1 green, 1/2 red, 1/2 blue, 1 tsp