This post has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. in partnership with Barilla. As always, all opinions are mine alone. #FamilyPastaTime #CollectiveBias
Okay so who doesn’t love pasta??
Right, said no one ever. I mean you all know I’m obsessed with zucchini noodles, but sometimes there’s just a part of you that
wants NEEDS a big heaping plate of pasta. Yes I’m talking about REAL, full-of-delicious-carbs, pasta that basically makes your mouth water just thinking about it. Well who said you couldn’t have the best of both worlds?
I love mixing zucchini noodles in with some whole wheat spaghetti for many reasons. First of all it’s such a great way to sneak in those veggies for picky eaters. My hubby struggles with eating zucchini noodles because, well let’s face it, he just loves his carbs, and for him nothing can replace regular old spaghetti noodles. So by throwing in some spiralized zucchini in with his spaghetti it’s the perfect way to introduce them while still maintaining that same great flavor and taste he loves so much.
Zucchini noodles also add such gorgeous color, great nutrition and a delicious crunch to the overall dish, but that’s not even the best part….because we’re adding in zucchini noodles, you only need half the amount of pasta! It’s a win-win for everyone.
For this dish I used Barilla® Whole Grain Spaghetti to go along with the zucchini noodles which are a great source of fiber and made with 100% whole wheat while still having the same great taste you would expect from your favorite spaghetti! Barilla also offers other pasta options such as gluten-free, protein plus, veggie and of course, the classic blue box.
Now that fall is here it’s finally time for all my favorite seasonal dishes. Butternut squash might just be one of my favorite veggies to cook with this time of year because it’s healthy, super versatile and just so happens to make the perfect base for a creamy pasta sauce! This recipe literally couldn’t be any easier to make either. All you need is 30 minutes, a few simple ingredients and you’ll have the perfect fall-inspired dinner ready to serve your family that I know they will just love!
So can we talk about these flavors?? I mean it doesn’t get much better than vibrant butternut squash simmering on the stove with onion, garlic, sage and nutmeg. Let’s just say my kitchen smelled absolutely incredible and the taste was even better. Nothing screams comfort food like a big bowl full of pasta and veggies to kick off your week and this way you don’t have to feel as guilty about it! Like I said before, you could easily make this dish gluten-free by using Barilla’s Gluten-Free spaghetti that legit tastes just like real pasta.
I also want to note that right now you can save 5% off ALL Barilla pastas and sauces at your local Target store by using this link. Offer expires 10/29/16 so make sure to take advantage of this great discount while you can!
Hope you and your family enjoy this butternut squash and sage spaghetti with zucchini noodles as much as we did! This dish is super easy to make, family-friendly, and honestly just too delicious not to make in your own kitchen tonight! It’s also vegan, dairy-free and made with only wholesome, nutritional ingredients.
As always, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to share your delicious photos on Instagram or Twitter and hashtag #eatyourselfskinnyrecipe so I can see what you all are eating!
Butternut Squash & Sage Spaghetti with Zucchini Noodles
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped into large chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lb. butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes (about 3 cups)
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 sage leaves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 8 oz. Barilla whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 medium zucchini, spiralized
- In a large skillet over medium heat, drizzle olive oil and sauté onion and garlic, until translucent and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add squash, nutmeg, salt/pepper and cover, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes. Add sage and cook an additional minute.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow squash to simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes until the squash is soft and the broth is reduced by half.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Once the squash mixture is ready and has cooled slightly, add mixture to your food processor or blender and purée until smooth. Feel free to add extra vegetable broth or water as-needed for a thinner sauce.
- Toss the spaghetti, zucchini noodles and sauce all together in the skillet you were just using and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes, until everything is combined. Season with additional salt/pepper and sage, serve and enjoy!
Serving Size: ¼th of the recipe • Calories: 322 • Fat: 8 g • Saturated Fat: 1.1 g • Carbs: 54 g • Fiber: 9.5 g • Protein: 10.6 g • Sugar: 8.7 g • WW Points+: 8 • Smart Points: 10
You can find all of your favorite Barilla products pretty much at any grocery store, but I actually picked mine up at my local Target, which is of course my absolute favorite place on Earth. Just a warning though….you may go in for just pasta and end up leaving with a whole cart full of things after. But hey, is that really such a bad thing? It is TARGET after all.
Don’t forget to save 5% by clicking here!